Farhan Akhtar, Go Back to the Director’s Chair


“It’s recession. Girls are actually marrying for love.” Then, the host of the Oye, Its Friday show (NDTV Imagine) paused a second for the canned laughter.

Now why did that sound familiar? Because, not only had I read this pathetic joke earlier in some TOI weekend supplement but I had also seen this SMS joke do the rounds about a week ago. The last thing I expected of Farhan Akhtar on his new talk show was stale humor.

Actually, I wonder what the show was exactly. It was a hybrid mish-mash of a joke-heavy Jay Leno plus irreverent Jimmy Kimmel plus celebrity-on-sofa Ellen plus spoofy SNL. Throw in a couple of Bollywood awards night type song-n-dance performances. Fit in a prodigious drummer kid who appears, makes a helluva lot of noise and then disappears. Include a tail-piece spoof that strips SRK’s Friday release Rab Ne Banaa Di Jodi to pieces (but why?!! Is this some new form of viral marketing?). Thank God, there was Hrithik Roshan sitting around, though even he looked uncomfortable at times. I have heard worse PJs than some of those that Farhan tried and I was relieved when he just signed off with his socha hai song from Rock On.

I guess I sound really pissed with Farhan; I am actually a big fan. I adored Dil Chahta Hai, appreciated Lakshya and enjoyed Don. And who didn’t like Rock On? (Though I think he’s a little wooden as an actor and cannot sing anything apart from rock’y’ numbers) But somehow, he’s just messed up this talk show thingy. Farhan, please go back to what you do best – making great movies. For chit-chat with Bollywood badshaahs and begums, I think I prefer Queen Bee Karan Johar.

PS: Since I really do like Farhan Akhtar, I’ll cut him some slack. I’ll check Oye next Friday and see if he improves. Photo credit - The above picture is from here.

Comments

I keep thinking...Farhan's living a dream. He's doing it all..directing, acting, singing..and now talk-show hosting. And he looks good too. Damn lucky! But he still a better director than a singer. Acting is not too bad either. He's still an unfolding story...lets see. The question is, can you sustain doing it all, forever?

Popular posts from this blog

The Telangana Effect - To create a new state, go on a fast

Sure, I bribe. But no cash. Do you take card?

How to Win a Customer, How to Lose a Customer