Was this Olympics fun?

The Olympics close tomorrow and the host nation put on a great show. They top the gold medals tally comfortably ahead of the Americans though the later have the most number of total medals.

I think India has also put in its best ever Olympic performance with an individual gold and two bronzes. At least our young boxers went down fighting. I loved it when Virender Kumar said after his final loss "abhi bhook hai...Aaj mazaa nahin aaya." Hope to see these guys in London in 2012.

So, everyone is happy. The USOC is thrilled. Indian governmental or sporting bodies are going ga-ga. And of course, the Chinese Communist Party will be very happy this Sunday when festivities mark the end of the Beijing Games and a reassertion of Chinese domination in the sporting world.

Still, many think it was not such a "fun" Olympics. I hate to admit it but I am inclined to say so too. I mean, Michael Phelps made history but he only makes me look up at him in stupefication and awe at the amazing achievement. (BTW, some observers dont even have that reaction ) Apart from Usain Bolt's shimmying, I hardly caught any flash and fun.

Am I wrong? Did I miss something?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Telangana Effect - To create a new state, go on a fast

Sure, I bribe. But no cash. Do you take card?

How to Win a Customer, How to Lose a Customer