Respecting National Symbols

Is there any law against people who wittingly/unwittingly disrespect the national anthem or the national flag? Would it be outrageously impolite if one pulled up a person who is blatantly disrespectful to the flag or the anthem and asked them to either explain themselves or rectify their behaviour? How far can one go in a personal attempt to safeguard the honor of these national symbols?

I am wondering about this following an episode at the movie theatre last night. From some time now, they have been playing the national anthem before every screening. I think it’s a great idea, though I know a few people who have a different opinion. And it’s a matter of much debate. Anyway, that’s fodder for another post.

What happened last night was that the whole theatre rose to its feet when the words sprang on the screen 'Please rise for the national anthem'. Save two smart young men in the row in front of me. They continued sitting and munching their popcorn. And they stayed put throughout the anthem.

I wondered what made them do this - being two sitting ducks smack in the center of the central row of a full theatre. I even noticed that they had come along with a group of friends and the rest of their group was very well-behaved indeed, standing up and singing along. So, peer pressure or acting cool wasn’t obviously the issue here. Both young men looked hale and hearty with all limbs intact. So, no disability discount here either. Were they foreigners? I don’t think so. And even if they were, is it OK to disrespect another country's anthem when on their soil. I am aware that the code of respect for the national flags/anthems of two countries are sometimes different, but c’mon, would I be continuing a cellphone conversation right through The Star Spangled Banner if I were standing at some DC ceremony or even an NBA final?

No, there didn’t seem to be any plausible explanation of their behavior apart from deliberate disrespect. I was angry but didn’t know what I should or can do in such a situation. Rebuke them? Say what? ‘Dude, kya tum paanchvi paas mein fail ho?’ Had I rebuked them, what would have been the reaction of other people in the theatre? Am I overreacting in this whole issue? Would love to know what others think.

Comments

Guru Smaran said…
Hmm.. there are four ways in which people could react to this.

One: Not standing up is disrespect. Such people should be shot.

Two: I respect my country, but do not see the need to stand up just because they play the anthem. Everyone else doing so is phony, and is doing it because society expects them to.

Three: I respect my country. I don't care whether other people stand or not, but I will.

Four: I'm too cool for this. Maybe that girl sitting there will notice me if I don't stand up and see how cool I am.

I belong to type 3. :)
Fortunately, Delhi does not have this regulation of the National Anthem inside a cinema hall. India never had this. It was started as a populist and blatantly and cheaply nationalistic measure. It serves absolutely no purpose. I love my national anthem and I am patriotic without being nationalist. But there is something about the trivial, fluffy, casual, verge of debauchery kind of atmosphere of a cinema hall that makes me feel disgusted about the practice of the anthem inside an audi. It not meant to be sung there. And not at that occasion. Tagore's ode deserves more respect than that. You cant force-feed love, you cant force-feed patriotism. It comes from inside. Honestly, I would've kept sitting too, though constantly squirming in my seat. One reason is that I'm principally against the practice and the second is that I'm just not used to it, coz we dont have that in NCR.
Anonymous said…
2 guys are negligible. they cannot cause more harm to the nation than khadi clad corrupt netas can they. They could be in love, having no other place to express it than dark movie theatres. Did you observe if they held hands? fed popcorn to each other?
-sauron

Popular posts from this blog

The Telangana Effect - To create a new state, go on a fast

Sure, I bribe. But no cash. Do you take card?

How to Win a Customer, How to Lose a Customer