Writing for Gen Y

I have not read Chetan Bhagat's novels except for a few pages of his first one Five Point Someone. I do not intend to spend a few precious hours reading it or the two subsequent ones - One night @ the call center and The 3 mistakes of my life. I don’t think I'll come away satisfied with the reading experience, so it’s better to refrain. Though, contrary to what I think, he is being touted as the 'voice of a generation’, the man responsible for a 'seismic shift in Indian writing in English' and ‘a rock star of Indian publishing’. Hmm...makes me think...am I missing something?

Sunday evening, however, I happened to drop in on his book promo event while shopping at Big Bazaar and have decided to give the guy a chance. He is remarkably unpretentious, unaffected in the limelight and downright candid. He writes for the masses and makes no bones of the fact. I asked him if he wrote books for the love of writing or for the love of telling a story, he unhesitatingly answered ‘story’. Actually, I don’t have a problem with that.)I guess stories inclined towards Bollywood, for that’s where they have been going. (I wouldn’t mind that either!)


Bhagat speaks at his book promo. Film Director Atul Agnihotri to his left.

I must admit he touches a chord with vast hordes of young readers, as was evident by the fawning yuppie fan following gathered there. So long as he is getting people to read. Or are they reading because of the irresistable pricing of his books? At Rs 95, you cant deny the smart marketing behind it all.

In any case, I came away thinking that he is indeed 'refreshing'. Just hope his books are the same. You think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Telangana Effect - To create a new state, go on a fast

Sure, I bribe. But no cash. Do you take card?

How to Win a Customer, How to Lose a Customer