Soundbites

People say the darndest things on TV. The whole of Thursday 27th Nov, the news channels have been covering the Mumbai situation almost round the clock. Early in the day, one of the channels (I forget which one) showed a snippet of foreigner responses to the attacks. A guy in New York was condemning the attack and saying this to the reporter - "We know life is cheap in India but this time they have targeted foreigners." I couldnt believe the guy actually said that. Shocked and outraged as I am by the Mumbai attacks, I have been glued to the TV all day, but they havent repeated that clip again. And I am very very sure I didnt dream that up. He said that!!

And people brave a lot to get on TV too. Some IT yuppie living near Colaba went out onto the streets soon after Wednesday night's blast, took pictures and posted them to CNN's ireport. They interviewed him on the CNN news. He came on BBC World News too.

I am all for the concept of citizen journalism...I just hope no one gets hurt.

Comments

Unknown said…
but dont u think the NY dude is rite... lets think abt it..who really cares abt our lives???... we have accepted things around us... all we do is crib abt it till the news gets stale...its not the yankee dude's mistake... its the way, we, as Indians have projected ourselves... things like this doesnt happen is china which bigger than us... doesnt happen is Israel... smaller than us...'It happens only in India'.. we still haven't learnt anything for our losses... i wont be surprised if we release some more crooks in prison as ransom tomorrow... i feel frustrated but i know sooner or later i wont be... i hate this helplessness... actually the New yorker is wrong.. Indian lives aint cheap.. unfortunately its FREE...
Mumukshu said…
Maybe you're right..people talk about us like that because we let them...maybe, we should be angry a little more..why do we get so accomodating and 'pick up and move on' the very next day...we should accept there's a problem and keep working at it..forgive but dont forget.
Anyway, in this post, I was just expressing my surprise at the words the guy chose..If I allow him to say that I am cheap, then I AM cheapening myself.

Popular posts from this blog

The Telangana Effect - To create a new state, go on a fast

Sure, I bribe. But no cash. Do you take card?

How to Win a Customer, How to Lose a Customer