Elections & IPL - Double Duds?

It's supposed to be the summer of double tamaashaa - the general elections and the IPL 2. But somehow, so far, I have found both unexciting and bland.

Polls finally ended today (13th May). It was the last day of campaigning on Monday. Thank God for that. Because, of all the campaign coverage I managed to catch on TV or in print, I can't recall one inspiring speech by a leader (whatever party) or can’t remember one election issue that moved me to any kind of action. And, I am tired of trying to keep track of who is wooing whom in the pre-poll season of political marriages and divorces. Seems to me, everyone is having clandestine affairs. Hopefully, when the electoral verdicts start trickling out over the weekend (May 16), I'll find some clarity about the relationships.

Otherwise, really, the campaign has been humdrum. And, as always, the media made a lot of news of tidbits that shouldn’t have made news. I cringed from the whole drama of Sanjay Dutt's bid to contest and his sibling cold war. Then, Nafisa Ali came into the fray. And the worst was Amar Singh crediting the new Mrs Dutt (Manyataa) for this inspired choice. So-cringeworthy-it-hurts ouch!


Now Sanju baba has kept the offer of jaadu-ki-jhappi (hopefully not pappi) for Mayawati open despite all the FIRs against him. God, if that scene does take place and is looped into the 24x7 news, I'll probably die of asphyxiation!

Other campaign regulars have been the Gandhi siblings and their poorer cousin. (at least, they make for easy-on-the-eye TV viewing!)Most people have an opinion on Rahul Gandhi and the timing of his ultimate ascension to the primeministerial throne. And it sometimes surprises me how varied these opinions are.

Watch that Weight, Rahul! ......Photo Credit: From here.

Priyanka Gandhi is also a pro now. But, to me, the pro'est' of the three is Varun Gandhi. Look how this entire 'hate speech' episode has made him the new poster boy of the BJP's hindutva. I had never really seen him on TV before, but what struck me when he was all over the tube last month was that this guy has politics in his blood. Watch the body language. He is to the manner born.



The New Prince of BJP. ......Photo Credit: From here.

He can change tunes too. First, it was "mein Gita ki kasam khataa khoon, main us haath ko kaat daaloonga." And soon after the jail stint, it was "maine tho ek machchar bhi nahin maara hai." (Smirk)

The other action out there is (unfortunately) unfolding in South Africa. Is it only me or do others find IPL season 2 a helluva lot less dhamaakedaar than season 1? Where are the roaring crowds, the palpating excitement, the bollywood numbers at each 4 and 6, the song-and-dance shows before each match, the celebrity turnout in the stadium?

The matches this season are so predictable. DC and DD are in top form. MI will win if Sachin and Sanath stay at the crease. KKR WILL lose every match they play. RCB will only win against KKR. And I, driven by a suicidal loyalty, will lose a few more fivers bet on KKR. Ironically, the most battered cricketing side is the one making the most marketing moolah.(brand value $42.1 M)


I know there are many cricket lovers who'll maul me for saying this, but I wish the matches had some more drama, a few theatrics, a little pizzazz. Sometimes, I wish Sreesanth would just go ahead and do some slapping; at least that will liven up proceedings. C'mon, isnt IPL supposed to be about entertainment? If I wanted cricket, I would watch test matches.

So, over the last month, my expectations crushed, I have tuned in more often to Star World or AXN rather than my daily fix of NDTV or CNN-IBN. Not that it has helped much. Anyone who follows Heroes will agree, the season 3 currently running is like a bowl of custard my daughter knocked over - gooey and splattered all over the place.


Where the hell is this story going? ......Photo Credit: From here.

But then there is Lost which I am beginning to follow. There are always (nth) reruns of Friends which I always enjoy.

And finally, on American Idol, the front runner is a gothesque, glam rocker wearing guyliner and black nailpolish. Thankfully, he can sing too.


Adam Lambert. ......Photo Credit: From here.

Now, thats something interesting to watch!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Telangana Effect - To create a new state, go on a fast

Sure, I bribe. But no cash. Do you take card?

How to Win a Customer, How to Lose a Customer